Ingredient Spotlight: Ylang Ylang
Using the highest quality, natural ingredients is what skin and body care is all about. Here we’ve featured Ylang Ylang as a favorite ingredient that we think you might be pleased learn more about. Take a look at what it is, what it does, and how it is used in skincare.
What Is Ylang Ylang?
Sourced from a tree that is native to Indonesia, Ylang Ylang (pronounced Eee-lang Ee-lang) offers a variety of health benefits when used as an essential oil or in natural skin and body care products. With flowers shaped like stars, the scent of the Ylang Ylang plant is considered to be very sweet and floral with a bit of a fruity, spicy undertone.
As a homeopathic plant, Ylang Ylang has been used for centuries in the Philippines, Indonesia and other eastern countries for skin remedies, aphrodisiac properties and to promote relaxation. The natural power of the Cananga odorata flower is typically extracted through steam distillation in order to maintain the purity and integrity of the plant’s essence.
Ylang Ylang is mainly made up of these chemical constituents that produce healthy benefits:
- Linalool—calming, soothing, sedative, analgesic
- Germacrene-D—stimulating, anti-fungal, anti-microbial, anti-bacterial, anti-viral
- Geranyl Acetate—anti-microbial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, stimulant, warming, aphrodisiac
- Benzyl Acetate—sedative, fragrant (like jasmine flowers)
- Beta-Caryophyllene—anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, analgesic
- Methyl P-Cresol—anti-bacterial, disinfectant
- Geraniol—antioxidant, antiseptic, anti-bacterial, analgesic
- Methyl Benzoate—sedative, anti-fungal, anesthetic, anti-inflammatory
- Farnesene—calming, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal
- Benzyl Benzoate—fragrant, antimicrobial
What Does Ylang Ylang Do?
In addition to its delicate, floral fragrance that soothes the mind and opens up emotions, Ylang Ylang is also extremely effective when used as an ingredient in skin care products. Ylang Ylang is known for its various natural benefits including:
- Regulating and balancing the production of oil in the skin
- Enhancing circulation which encourages skin cell health
- Contributing to and maintaining the hydration of the skin to prevent dryness
- Calming, soothing effects on irritated or inflamed skin
- Promotion of new growth in skin cells
- Healing of wounds and prevention of infections
How Is Ylang Ylang Used in Skincare?
High-quality skin and body care products may contain small amounts of Ylang Ylang that can provide a myriad of benefits. It may be added to cleansers, moisturizers, lotions or other products that are meant to maintain the health of the skin. Because it is so strong and powerful, just a little bit goes a long way. This means that Ylang Ylang may not appear as one of the top ingredients in your skincare products, but that doesn’t necessarily make it any less important or useful!
Consider these benefits Ylang Ylang has to offer:
Free radicals from the environment can cause damage to healthy skin cells with oxidative stress that causes the skin to look older through fine lines, wrinkles and pigmentation. As an antioxidant, Ylang Ylang is useful in skincare, helping to battle against various toxins so that the skin looks brighter and younger.
Puffiness and swelling in the skin can come from a variety of sources. Ylang Ylang’s soothing, anti-inflammatory properties help promote the reduction of irritated, inflamed skin due to acne, water retention, rashes, irritation or other skin problems.
Preventing various types of infections, Ylang Ylang promotes healthier-looking and smoother-feeling skin. Whether from acne, boils, rashes, or cuts a skin care regimen that includes Ylang Ylang may provide added protection against infections that may be bacterial, viral or fungal. Also, as it promotes healing, the ingredient will help to reduce the appearance of scarring that might occur on the skin.
Its anti-seborrheic properties mean that this ingredient in a skin care regimen can help to relieve infections that can cause scaly, itchy patches that are uncomfortable and unsightly. Plus, Ylang Ylang’s ability to promote hydration means that it helps the skin to naturally retain moisture and avoid dry patches that can be so painful and irritating.
Now you can see why Ylang Ylang offers a plethora of beautifying, age defying, healthy benefits to promote balance in an incomparably fragrant way. Products containing Ylang Ylang will provide your skin with an incredible, pampered feeling that you deserve. Naturally.